Saturday, January 16, 2010

Delft Nederland

Today was our first Dutch roadie! And what a great time it was! We went to Delft, which was about 30 minutes away. We toured the Royal Delft Pottery factory, spent time with family friends of Amelia and toured the town square of Delft. Unfortunately, rainy weather is keeping us in tonight but my fingers are crossed the snow is gone tomorrow!

In typical American fashion, we arrived an hour after the shop opened and were the only tourists in the whole place! We enjoyed a private tour. The Royal Delft pottery is very famous in Holland, with the classic colors being blue and white. They also have a multi-colored, red and gold and black, green and blue line....all stunning. This is the china that has been made for the Royal Dutch family since 1653! It is all handmade and beautiful--I shipped a whole box of gifts home....BIG box! :) And couldve bought alot more...if I didnt have to pay my credit card bill!

The Delft blue design is everywhere!


Painter at work. They have to train 7 years before actually being able to have their pieces sold. And you can see, its all done by hand! IMPRESSIVE! Each piece is individually numbered and initialled.


Lots of plates! This was the Christmas collection.

Huge tile mural

We even ran into a Delft cow in the pottery warehouse?!?
It was so much fun, expect for my credit card! We then went to visit Amelia's family friends, the Van Nieuwkoops, that live in town. They were so welcoming and fixed us a traditional Dutch lunch of Frikadel and Croquette sandwiches. Frikadel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frikandel are very popular here and can be best described as a fried hot dog.....tasty!
The Van Nieuwkoop family has an American exchange student living with them and a young daughter that showed us around Delft. And if you are wondering, they all speak English very well, so it was nice to be able to easily communicate. (That is the norm here, since almost every student in school is required to learn in. Thank goodness otherwise we would be very lost!
Delft is a very pretty city and I really want to go back in the spring, as it has so many canals and flowers. We went to the town square, through the 700 year old Dutch Reform church, saw where the famous Vermeer lived and did some shopping. You see the Delftware and Vermeer paintings everywhere! Delft is the town that the Girl in the Pearl earring book/movie were based.
Amelia and our tour guides

Downtown Delft. It was super cold and overcast! I sure will appreciate the sun when it comes back....if it does!

We stopped along the way for a famous warm giant stroopwaffle, so delicious! It was a euro and all of us were able to enjoy some. I could bring these back to America and make a fortune! There tons of places to get the typical Dutch french fries with mayo and peanut sauce and herring, both I have yet to try. The herring makes me a little nervous to be honest...

Delft Canals

The Canal houses have a special door (far right) for boat deliveries! What a neat place to live.

Town Square with City Hall


The Dutch Reform Church in the middle of the Square. The famous Prince William of Orange is laid to rest here. (I couldnt get the whole church in the picture so this is what you get. I thought it was pretty genius actually haha) Due to ice, we werent able to HIKE the 800 steps to the hop of the steeple.

Inside the church with the memorial tomb

Square with all the shops!
Fun and successful first roadtrip! Sidenote: we did see our first windmill today, finally! There is a town close that has old windmills to tour that is on the my to do list for the spring. Tomorrow we are going to check out the beach. I am hoping some snow will still be around of us to see. Pictures of the beach to come tomorrow!
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
al mijn liefde

1 comment:

  1. I expect to see that cow crammed in my mailbox any day now. Or the funnel cake/donut combo. I'd be content with either.

    ReplyDelete