Thursday, January 14, 2010

Winkelen en Kranen

Thursday was pretty fantastic here! Minus the fact that we had to wait on the Internet man to come all day and he didn't even fix it so we are still "borrowing" Internet at home!!! Ugh! Since the shops are open late on Thursday, Amelia and I ventured out to do some shopping! And it was finally a sunny day!!!


Street that leads to the park in front of out apartment

Haarlem Street

Church in the city square

Beautiful Gothic Church in the city square! This was the first time Ive actually seen it in the daylight! Cannot wait to check out the inside.

These little bakeries are all over the place! We stopped to try a oliebol, which is a Dutch doughnut. It tastes like a cross between a funnel cake and doughnut and it is awesome!! They are traditional on New Years and at fairs. Some have banana, apple, chocolate and custard fillings.....yum....Ill probably have to try them all! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliebol

This little number caught my eye and I just had to have it! Luckily there were some great sales going on so I got lots of stuff: a super cute red trench coat (yes I bought two coats in one day), shirt, some gifts and a cute pair of black boots. Cant wait to wear all the new stuff. We didnt even go in half the shops there are here. They have every shop you could think of! Im not sure how I am going to get all of this stuff home...good thing I dont have to worry about that for awhile!

Finally, WOODEN SHOES!!!!!! :)

We took a shopping break for some wine at this super cool place called Vigh. Its a small cozy place with couches and candles everywhere, not to mention great wine....I loved it!

We finished off our day of shopping trying a Tapas restaurant, El Pincho. Each person picks a couple of different items and you share...it was a great way to end the day! If you havent gone to a Tapas restaurant, do it, it is alot of fun! We had calamari, empanadas, garlic chicken, cheese and spinach croquettes, papas fritas (french fries) and tomato basil meatballs. YUM!

On the way home, we stopped at the grocery store. Everyone goes here every other day because there isnt much room to stock up on things. But I took a picture of the shopping carts. In order to use one, you have to put in a .50 euro coin to use the shopping cart or you can use the small carry baskets for free. When you have finished shopping, you return the cart, lock it back and get your money! Pretty smart! You sure dont see shopping carts all over the place like you do in America!
All and all a fantastic day! I still cant believe that I live here, if it is only for a short time!! :) I love it! There are still so many stores to go into and a whole other part of town still to explore! Have a great Thursday everyone and thanks for reading!
al mijn liefde

No comments:

Post a Comment