We went to tour an old Dutch windmill and it was so much fun! With the weather being so bad, there was only us there, the two super nice Dutch workers and one other tourist. The Dutch man gave us a history and tour of the windmill, how everything worked and we got to go inside. It was fun to learn about and see how everything worked. The windmill in Haarlem actually still does work, even though it is now a museum and usually still runs on Sunday.
After the delightful tour, we went to Teylers Muesum which is a natural history and science museum started by a wealthy Dutch merchant back in the 1800s. It had everything from fossils to old scientific instruments to paintings and coin collections. Interesting to see such old fun stuff. And yesterday, we each bought a museum card which allows access to most Dutch museums for a year! Very handy!
Walking home from the museum, I talked Amelia into trying the Grand Nobel Cafe. It was Nobel Prized themed and had a modern chic atmosphere, not to mention very tasty food. (Shocking I know) But when I opened the menu I saw this...
After dinner, we talked ourselves into dessert. I had the idea of asking if we could get it takeaway...not a problem they said. When the waiter brought it, he said the kitchen had to improvise....this is our "take away container" Funny. Europeans dont do to-go boxes but I really appreciated them accommodating us.
It was such a fun weekend. I am really not ready to go back to work tomorrow...but when am I ever. Amelia and I will spend some time reorganizing the warehouse this week to prepare the location for barcoding in the Spring, so that should keep us busy.
Amelia and I are working on a killer tour guide for all those that are coming to visit :) And for those who are thinking about it, book your ticket and come see me! I would love love love the visitors! So much to see and do! (Less than a month until Stu comes!! :))
And something to look forward to next weekend, we decided to take a roadtrip to Antwerp, Belgium! Its only about an hour and a half from our apartment. Ive never been to Belgium so I am very excited!! :) Belgian waffles, chocolate and beer....sounds delightful. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Thank you so much for reading and for all of the wonderful emails and FB messages....keep them coming. I love hearing from everyone and knowing what is going on back at home. Love and miss you all!
al mijn liefde
al mijn liefde
Um hello Kel! You didn't mention the Broodje Lorentz, named after your friend Marisa, another Nobel Peace prize winner!
ReplyDelete